Monday, March 1, 2010

If nobody knows how to do something, how can you do it wrong?

I used this as a Facebook status update last week after I used it as a comment in a meeting.
I was funny to me at first, and then I thought about it.

If nobody knows how to do something, how can you do it wrong?

In our work lives we have may different tasks to do. For some it is coding, others keeping the servers up, etc. How often could we apply this statement?

I have quoted this a few times in the past when give vague instructions for my team to do something.

Team member: “How do we do that John?”
Me: “Well we will have to figure it out”
Team member: “what if we mess up or do it wrong?”
Me: “If nobody knows how to do something, how can you do it wrong?"

My point is that not knowing what you are trying to accomplish, before you start it, is a dangerous thing way to start a project.

Know the details, get exact requirements (No laughing please) and map out what you are going to do. A little more work up front is well worth it in the end

No comments:

Post a Comment